Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Reflection, I Am Beautiful


Girl are girls, we care about ourselves.
But why do we care so much
About what we see in the mirror?
Look past the looking glass.

Is it too much to peer at your own reflection?
Mirrors cannot determine who you are.
It cannot determine what you will become.
Your natural beauty comes from
What you bring to the world,
Not by your appearance.
Acceptance is key to true beauty.

As a girl, I’ve dealt with most
Everyone’s common thoughts:
Am I pretty enough?
Do these clothes measure up?
Am I worthy enough to be loved one day?
These doubts are common in a girls' mind.
To them, nothing about themselves
Could ever be sublime. 

Mutually, I have my self-doubts.
But I’ve found it to be like
A stream filled with people
Trying to wash away images of
Magazine models and their
So-called perfect bodies.
Soon, we begin to feel like
The dirt in our eyes
Won’t ever let us see again.
We may feel we are inferior to what they have
And begin to want to find our special something and 
Blend in.

So I would attempt to amplify myself.
I’d set out on pursuit for the better look,
The better make-up only
So I could cover up my undesired blemishes.

“’'Mirror, mirror on the wall, who’s the fairest of them all? Wipe the tears from my eyes, show me beauty, not disguise'…”

But soon, we'll realize there is no inferiority.
And that we don't need to try to find different ways
To make ourselves someone that we're not.
Girls would break their skin,
Change their minds,
Walk in heels to make their self seem big.
But beauty doesn't lie on the outside,
Everything beautiful begins on the inside.

"...'Mirror, mirror on the wall, why won't you speak to me at all? I try to find the clothes that fit right, but no one says a word 'til night, when darkness rises into light'..."

I believe everyone has their own
Personal beauties that are
All unique in different ways.
We shouldn’t have to commit
To observing others’ rituals
To create our own.
The importance of your
Own personality is what
Sets the blaze for you in your life.
The messages we get shouldn’t
Affect the way we live our life.
Words are only words.
They cannot hurt us
Unless we absorb them in.
We can’t let this culture tell us we’re
Supposed to look a certain way
And let that identify us.
But as humans,
We preen ourselves
And beautify the surfaces of our skin.
But it doesn’t mean that's what
It's all about.
Your heart is yours to discover.

“…'Please, show me some insight. Tell me that what you see is perfect. Mirror, tell me my shoes are perfect. Mirror, tell me my hair is just right. Mirror, I'm waiting and waiting. I'm searching but I cannot find. All I see are models swarming through my mind'..."

I began to share my mirror with several people,
Different me’s.
Each time I’d look,
It was a different person.
I’d wonder which one I was.
But we can’t hope to be a one-size-fits-all.
There is no one more noteworthy than yourself.
You have to love yourself,
Nurture yourself.
Allow your heart to be a mother
And let your body be her child.
We are our own person,
We are out here in the natural world
Where we don’t have our own
Personal hair dressers
And stylists and yet,
We are all still beautiful in our own personal way.
Beauty has nothing to do with image.
It’s simply your attitude,
Your peacefulness within yourself
That holds your true treasure.

"...'I realized my wrong. Beauty cannot be in any other place besides my heart. It's not superficial, it's not others' looks. It's my looks. 'Perfect' can't be accomplish'..." 

Audrey Hepburn once said,

“For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others;
For beautiful lips, speak only works of kindness;
And for poise, walk with the knowledge that
You are never alone."

Girls, we are beautiful.
Encourage one another.
Speak kindness to each other.
Look at yourself from a newer,
More insightful perspective.
Penetrate past the looks,
Because it is what’s inside you
That truly forms a beautiful being.

"...'Finally, I took up the courage to look in my mirror, to actually look at my herself. I found the strength to love myself, I found the strength to say that I have faith in myself. I look at my reflection and I say, 'I am beautiful'."

August 28, 2010 & November 9, 2011

Other Bloggers